Your first visit to our practice will include a complete dental exam and cleaning. At that time, and following appointments for cleaning and checkups, we will include:
- A visual examination of your teeth: To check for tooth decay and current condition of your gums.
- Diagnostic x-rays: To check for tooth decay, tumours, cysts, bone loss and the position of your teeth.
- Gum disease evaluation: To check your gums, and the bone around your teeth, for any signs of periodontal (gum) disease.
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that forms on the teeth and becomes firmly attached. It forms above and below the gum line and can be removed with appropriate dental instruments (scaling, root planing).
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins that can inflame the gums.
- Examination of existing restorations: To check your fillings, crowns, veneers, etc.
- Teeth polishing: Removal of any stains and plaque that is not otherwise removed during regular toothbrushing and scaling.